Re: Dunyazadiad

    Message 1 of 50 , Jul 9, 2003
      Mostly bits and pieces on Doony--

      *Sorry, but what does FWF mean?

      *I am struck how this first novella is a portent(correct word?) of
      future things for JB--the Genie(genie=johnny=JB?!)'s writer's block
      strikes him (again, as it will many times later), sowing seeds of
      great works later ("LETTERS" where he speaks of writing a novel where
      7 characters correspond to each other, and much much later "Somebody
      the Sailor")

      *The entire conceit of this novella gets repeated and rewritten in
      the last 1/4 of "Tidewater Tales", this time from the POV of the
      Genie instead of Doony or Sherry. We had read and discussed the
      novel last year, and more recent members who have time would be
      behooven to search the board's archives for our notes on it. I think
      I(we) need to dig out Tidewater Tales and skim it for comparison.

      *Do the 2 & 3rd sections seem very rushed, as if JB was under
      deadline? The 3rd section especially seems like a mere
      apology/justification for everything that transpired. Is he trying
      to lightly parody the ending of the "1001 Nights" itself?

      *Highly recommend David Foster Wallace...the ribbing of JB,
      as "Professor Ambrose", in "Westward" (found in "The Girl With
      Curious Hair") is a laugh riot for fans. In another related vein,
      check out Wallace's mythology parody in "Interviews With Hideous Men"
      called "Tri-Stan: I Sold Sissy Nar to Ecko".
    • Mal McCormack
      Message 50 of 50 , Jul 12, 2003
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner" <markbrawner@z...>
        wrote:

        > Here's the collection (why is UK cover art always so
        > shitty?):

        'Cos my boy didn't do it. ;)

        .M.