RE: [johnbarth] Thesis and such

  • Derik
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2003
      On Mon, 12 May 2003, Barbara Schmidt wrote:

      > I've been reading 'The Recognitions' for months, finding it very heavy
      > going. There's so much stuff I don't know-there was a 'real alchemist
      > Basil Valentine,' presumably, but I'm lost in art re-creation world.
      > Mostly having trouble with the drivel-literary party scenes! If there's

      I love the party scenes they are so funny.

      It is not an easy book but I found/find it completely worthwhile. One of
      my favorite novels.

      Have you checked out www.williamgaddis.org? There is a great collection of
      annotations there for most obscure references.

      Derik A. Badman.

      ---

      "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

      "You read too much, erudition will be your downfall and you'll end up a
      librarian." -Queneau

      "Others brag of the books they've managed to write; I brag of the books
      I've managed to read." - J.L. Borges