RE: [johnbarth] OT: The First Draft Version of Infinite Jest

  • Barbara Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2003
      so happy to hear from this group again.

      Significant reading for me has been Richard Powers, with no discussions yet; I'll have to read at least 4 of them again before I can begin to do anything but sigh in pleasure and wonder. Last weekend, however, rather than begin that project I decided to go back to read JB yet again, from the beginning (except I won't reread end of the road). Starting soon.

      I did read IJ but am not a big fan. A recent focus for me has been how much of the story is 'autobiographical' vs. sheer creativity-which of course explains my awe of Powers' books. I bet RP has never been a black women with a fabulous voice married to a Jewish physicist.

      Here's what clicking on the link said:
      Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
      The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2003
        On Fri, 9 May 2003 14:40:58 -0700
        "Barbara Schmidt" <barbaras@...> wrote:
        >so happy to hear from this group again.

        Me too! Seriously, it has made my day.

        >Significant reading for me has been Richard Powers, with
        >no discussions yet;

        I remain unPowersed as yet, though I have that 'three dudes
        walking to a something or other' sitting on my shelf that I
        intend to tackle at some point. The road to hell, of
        course, being paved w/ etc.

        >I did read IJ but am not a big fan.

        And I feel appropriately sorry for you*. I kid, of course.
        Wallace is my #2 man. I'm completely smitten.

        * Referencing Mal's 'Barth for Beginners", there, where he
        says same of one Dave Edelman's estimation of LETTERS.
        Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/