Re: Being moving, being emotional, being poignant.

  • Mal McCormack <annemac@alphalink.com.au>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hello and hope you all survive(d) the ruination of yet another new
      year party. I did, barely.

      Well, apropos the subject line, I think it's horses for courses.
      Barth tries from time to time (as Barbara correctly pointed out) to be
      m, e & p, but frankly his efforts along these lines leave me
      relatively unmoved. I don't know whether he's jaded, or I am, or we
      both or neither are. I suspect that it's just not his Thing.

      But he can be very moving, perhaps unintentionally; there are parts of
      LITFH, written I suspect in deep despair when his marriage was going
      down the sewer, that chill me to the bone.

      For me JSB is at his best when he's being funny and clever and
      parodying. I can't think of anyone except Pynchon who rivals him
      there, and that's why I'm enjoying the early stages of Coming Soon!!!
      so much. If I want to get depressed over the human condition I read
      history, not fiction.

      Mal.
    • agrimorfee <agrimorfee@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "electraalan > > >Did Barth ever
        create a truly earnest, emotional, poignant
        > > passage?

        I think many of his characters have individual moments--epiphanies,
        if you will--that stand out for poignancy. Todd Andrews is by far
        the most e/e & p of any.