Has anyone seen "End of the Road"?

  • electraalan <Alan_Plessinger@dialog.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2002
      I know that the movie is a failure, but is it an entertaining failure?
      Is it worth seeing?
    • Mal McCormack <annemac@alphalink.com.au>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2002
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "electraalan <Alan_Plessinger@d...>"
        <Alan_Plessinger@d...> wrote:
        > I know that the movie is a failure, but is it an entertaining
        failure?
        > Is it worth seeing?

        I seem to recall Mark had it on tape, but I can't remember his
        reaction.
        We know what Barth thinks of it.

      • John Shelby
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
          I saw it some years ago.  I have to agree with the Author's assessment.  It was no good.

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
            Mal wrote:

            >I seem to recall Mark had it on tape, but I can't remember
            his reaction.

            Actually, no - I never got around to buying it. But I
            intend to do so some day. This link from Comrade Edelman's
            made me particularly curious:

            http://www.terrysouthern.com/road.htm
            Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
              "Adapted from John Barth's first [sic] novel, The End of
              The Road, published in 1958, the film is faithful to the
              book's distanced narrative. Jacob Horner (Stacy Keach), a
              recent graduate of John [sic] Hopkins..."

              Well, okay, clunky and erroneous in places, but it still
              makes we want to see the film.

              "I know this is a minority view, but I think End of The
              Road is some kind of masterpiece, a tattered signpost
              pointing to a road not taken by American cinema."

              Et cetera.

              Mark

              ~
              Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/