Re: [johnbarth] highly skippable addendum to my last

  • Derik
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
      On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Mark Brawner wrote:

      > You'll be thrilled to know that *my* favorite is
      > "biblioriptos: one who throws books around." Now back to
      > our regularly scheduled etc.

      I went biblioriptos when reading Lawrence's Women in Love for a class. I
      riptosed it down the hallway. Ended up ripping the cover.

      Derik A. Badman.

      ---

      "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

      "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive." - Samuel R. Delany

      "The world is richer in associations than meanings, and ... it is the part
      of wisdom to distinguish between the two." - John Barth
    • Kris Majer
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
        Mark, that's a beauty!

        > And my favorite:
        > Bibliosopher: One who gains wisdom from books.

        Mine has to be Bibliophage!

        .K
      • Barbara Schmidt
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
          d'you mean you didn't care for it? It was in my top 10 most of my life;
          don't have a current top list, but it might still be there, had I....

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2002
            On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Barbara Schmidt wrote:

            > d'you mean you didn't care for it? It was in my top 10 most of my life;
            > don't have a current top list, but it might still be there, had I....

            God, I hated Women in Love. I don't think I have one good thing to say
            about it (except it throws really well, I had a little mass market
            edition). Lawrence is on the top of my list of author's I can't stand.

            In better news, I am getting a copy of the new Gaddis to review for a
            magazine! Free book and getting something published.

            Derik A. Badman.

            ---

            "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

            "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive." - Samuel R. Delany

            "The world is richer in associations than meanings, and ... it is the part
            of wisdom to distinguish between the two." - John Barth
          • Brawner, Mark
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2002
              RE: [johnbarth] THE END: An Introduction

              Mal wrote:

              >[OWTS] is a collection of free-standing short stories, published individually in earlier times (this one in Paris Review) and strung loosely together by a conceit that remains murky, at least for the nonce, to the first-time reader.

              Was it Martin who said recently, before we started, that he thought the thing hung together much tighter than people generally appreciate?  I wonder if any of us will end up agreeing with him after this read.

              >I suppose we've all endured the irritation of fidgetting through a nervous, prolix, improvised and muddle-headed speech by someone like the retiring professor and who's unhappily trying to make the best of something like this situation.  I furthermore suppose Barth intended the reader to be irritated initially, and with me he certainly succeeded.

              I didn't find it irritating at all - just amusing.  Particularly that aspect I mentioned briefly before - the really lame punning jokes admixed with the erudite digressions.  I've met people like this before.

              Ashamed to admit he missed the roller-towel ending,

              Mark

              P.S. I agree with Derik: great post, Mal.