highly skippable addendum to my last

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
      That comment about "my favorite" was from someone else - I
      copied the list from an email.

      You'll be thrilled to know that *my* favorite is
      "biblioriptos: one who throws books around." Now back to
      our regularly scheduled etc.

      Welcome to the show, Kris.

      Mark

      >Bibliodemon: A book fiend, or demon.
      >
      >Bibliognoste: One who is knowledgeable about editions,
      >colophons, printers, and all the minutiae of books.
      >
      >Bibliographe: One who describes books.
      >Biblioklept: One who steals books.
      >Bibliolater: One who worships books.
      >Biblioestes: A book robber or plunderer.
      >Bibliomane: One who accumulates books indiscriminately.
      >Bibliomaniac: A book lover gone mad.
      >Bibliophage: One who eats or devours books.
      >Bibliophile: One who loves books.
      >Bibliophobe: One who fears books.
      >Bibliopole: One who sells books.
      >Biblioriptos: One who throws books around.
      >Bibliotaphe: One who buries or hides books.
      >And my favorite:
      >Bibliosopher: One who gains wisdom from books.
      >
      >(Source: "A Passion For Books: A Book Lover's Treasury"
      >Edited by Harold Rabinowitz & Rob Kaplan )
      >Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/

      Mark
      ~
      Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
    • Derik
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
        On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Mark Brawner wrote:

        > You'll be thrilled to know that *my* favorite is
        > "biblioriptos: one who throws books around." Now back to
        > our regularly scheduled etc.

        I went biblioriptos when reading Lawrence's Women in Love for a class. I
        riptosed it down the hallway. Ended up ripping the cover.

        Derik A. Badman.

        ---

        "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

        "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive." - Samuel R. Delany

        "The world is richer in associations than meanings, and ... it is the part
        of wisdom to distinguish between the two." - John Barth
      • Kris Majer
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
          Mark, that's a beauty!

          > And my favorite:
          > Bibliosopher: One who gains wisdom from books.

          Mine has to be Bibliophage!

          .K
        • Barbara Schmidt
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2002
            d'you mean you didn't care for it? It was in my top 10 most of my life;
            don't have a current top list, but it might still be there, had I....

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2002
              On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Barbara Schmidt wrote:

              > d'you mean you didn't care for it? It was in my top 10 most of my life;
              > don't have a current top list, but it might still be there, had I....

              God, I hated Women in Love. I don't think I have one good thing to say
              about it (except it throws really well, I had a little mass market
              edition). Lawrence is on the top of my list of author's I can't stand.

              In better news, I am getting a copy of the new Gaddis to review for a
              magazine! Free book and getting something published.

              Derik A. Badman.

              ---

              "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

              "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive." - Samuel R. Delany

              "The world is richer in associations than meanings, and ... it is the part
              of wisdom to distinguish between the two." - John Barth
            • Brawner, Mark
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2002
                RE: [johnbarth] THE END: An Introduction

                Mal wrote:

                >[OWTS] is a collection of free-standing short stories, published individually in earlier times (this one in Paris Review) and strung loosely together by a conceit that remains murky, at least for the nonce, to the first-time reader.

                Was it Martin who said recently, before we started, that he thought the thing hung together much tighter than people generally appreciate?  I wonder if any of us will end up agreeing with him after this read.

                >I suppose we've all endured the irritation of fidgetting through a nervous, prolix, improvised and muddle-headed speech by someone like the retiring professor and who's unhappily trying to make the best of something like this situation.  I furthermore suppose Barth intended the reader to be irritated initially, and with me he certainly succeeded.

                I didn't find it irritating at all - just amusing.  Particularly that aspect I mentioned briefly before - the really lame punning jokes admixed with the erudite digressions.  I've met people like this before.

                Ashamed to admit he missed the roller-towel ending,

                Mark

                P.S. I agree with Derik: great post, Mal.