Re: [johnbarth] Reading Short Stories

  • Jonathan Hall
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
      > Anybody interested in maybe doing some Barth short story discussions in
      > the near future?

      Sounds like a good idea. Should be an easy way to revive the group
      readings - a much lighter commitment.

      Jonathan
    • Richard Stock
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
        And if the story could be accessed electronically, we wouldn't have to
        go out and buy a book, which is another commitment-lightener.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
          --- In johnbarth@y..., Richard Stock <rstock@v...> wrote:
          > And if the story could be accessed electronically, we wouldn't have
          > go out and buy a book, which is another commitment-lightener.
          >
          > Rick

          There is/are e-stories floating around? Which ones?

          A LitF group read does sound appealing to me... veterans such as
          myself may want to re-examine "Ambrose His Mark" and the title work
          in re: LETTERS, now that we have read that together.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
            >There is/are e-stories floating around? Which ones?

            There are none that I'm aware of, with the exception of
            *Dead Cat, Floating Boy*, the text of which is available
            at our web archive. It used to be available on the
            Conjunctions web site and was copied over. I don't think
            that story will elicit much discussion, though. Too many
            better ones, life being short, etc.

            I'm up for some short story discussion.

            Hey Rick: surely you can get both Funhouse and OWTS from
            the library?

            Regards,

            Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
          • leedoff10
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
              Hey all. The short story idea sounds great. Again, I'm new, both to
              the group and to Barth, so I don't really know how you all operate.
              Is there a group leader or something? Anyway, I have a suggestion
              for the first short story, well two actually. First, of course, is
              Ad Infinitum. Anyone who hasn't read this story definately must, and
              those of us who have can't get tired of discussing it. Its one of
              those stories that allows for so many different interpretations, and
              reading of symbols. Another suggestion would be Waiting for the
              Storm. Not as full of symbols and depth per se, but definately a top
              notch story as far as enjoyment goes. Well, let me know what you all
              think.
              -Jack

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
                Jack's suggestions of *Ad Infinitum* and *Preparing for the
                Storm* reminded me that there *are*, after all, some JB
                stories available on the web. While *Ad Infinitum* is
                not, *Preparing for the Storm* is.

                Have a look here at Dave's site:

                http://www.dave-edelman.com/barth/onwithstory.cfm

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002