Missed posts

  • Brawner, Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 2:20 PM
      I just stopped by our web site to see what's what and discovered I've missed
      every post since June 10. They're not coming to my inbox for some occult
      reason.
      Anyhow, Kris: glad you got your mits and wits on CS!!!.
      Ag, I've only read the Dunyazadiad and the Perseid, so I'm no help for your
      hand-wringing over Bellerophoniad, altough I remain curious about its
      relation to LETTERS. I think I've already said this elsewhere, but when I
      went to JB's Los Angeles reading from CS!!!, the question I was going to
      ask, had I not been passed over (both Jack and host looked right at my
      front-row self, then felt obliged, I sensed, to call on another who had had
      her hand up earlier), had to do with the way his books "infiltrate, contain,
      mirror, contradict, and twin" one another, as Michael Silverblatt so
      judiciously put it in that recent interview. It would have been something
      along the lines of, "It's a pleasure to see *Chimera* back on the shelves in
      handsome paperback along with *Last Voayge*. I'm currently elbow deep in the
      two and a half pounder that followed it, LETTERS, and I wonder if you'd say
      a few words about the relation between the two books. It seems that large
      sections of Chimera are quoted verbatim LETTERS?" Et cet.
      Jack: a hearty welcome to you. I found you on Dave Edelman's Barth site
      guestbook.
      Regards,

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 6:12 AM
        --- In johnbarth@y..., "Brawner, Mark" <mark.brawner@p...> wrote:
        > Ag, I've only read the Dunyazadiad and the Perseid, so I'm no help
        for your hand-wringing over Bellerophoniad, altough I remain curious
        about its > relation to LETTERS... wonder if you'd say
        > a few words about the relation between the two books. It seems that
        large
        > sections of Chimera are quoted verbatim LETTERS?"

        As I said, I gave up on the Bellerophoniad, but I skimmed a few pages
        in its latter half, and was surprised to see the word "reset" pop up
        inexplicably every once in a while, and also a mention of the
        name "Harold Bray". Much of the text is cryptic and elliptical (to
        me) like Bray's letters in LETTERS.