New Member!

  • leedoff10
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi all. Someone named Mark sent me an email inviting me to join your
      group. Hope no one minds, but I decided to take him up on it. I
      have to admit, I am new to the world of Barth, but I was instantly
      hooked after the first paragraph of the first story I read. I have
      recently finished reading ON WITH THE STORY for the third time. I
      have just begun the Floating Opera. And I cannot wait until Coming
      Soon is out on paperback. I can't afford those damn hardcovers. My
      favorite Barth story is the first one I read, Ad Infinitum. The way
      Barth lets us all know the complication and complexity of simplicity
      drew me in for good.
      Well all, its nice to be a member. Talk to you soon.
      -Jack
    • Barbara Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
        welcome. You've immediately qualified yourself as a clever perceptive
        individual; instant hooking is important!
        Group seems to be having a slowdown after our difficult read of Tidewater
        Tales, but much interesting stuff is exchanged.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
          Welcome to the group Jack.

          On with the Story is one of the few by our man that I haven't read.

          Derik A. Badman.

          ---

          "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa

          "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive." - Samuel R. Delany

          "The world is richer in associations than meanings, and ... it is the part
          of wisdom to distinguish between the two." - John Barth
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
            --- In johnbarth@y..., "leedoff10" <leedoff10@a...> wrote:
            >Hope no one minds, but I decided to take him up on it.
            Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome. No one minds, the more the merrier!

            >And I cannot wait until Coming Soon is out on paperback. I can't
            afford those damn hardcovers.
            Books are unbelievably pricey, to be sure. I rarely purchase anything
            without reading it first from the library or without extensive
            background (oddly enough, I got Coming Soon unread and with little
            thought)

            >Ad Infinitum.
            Is that the one with, like 5 or 6 quotation marks within sentences?
            Too complicated for me! ;)
          • Derik
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
              On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, agrimorfee wrote:

              > >Ad Infinitum.
              > Is that the one with, like 5 or 6 quotation marks within sentences?
              > Too complicated for me! ;)

              Isn't that the Menelaid(sp?) in Lost in the Funhouse? (I feel a need to
              reread LitF, it's been a couple years, see how it holds up.)

              Anybody interested in maybe doing some Barth short story discussions in
              the near future?

              Derik A. Badman.

              ---

            • Rick_Slade@marketstrategies.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2002
                I would love it if somebody would take you up on this one - I recently
                reread LitF, and was just as confused as the first time, some twenty-odd
                years ago. Methinks his Borgesian influences were at their peak, not to
                mention his ongoing divorce, as chronicled in On With the Story. In any
                case, some help with these stories would be much appreciated.

                Derik <dbadman@...>
                03-07-02 06:11 AM
                Please respond to johnbarth

                To: <johnbarth@yahoogroups.com>