RE: [johnbarth] Re: TT-The End is only The Beginning

  • Barbara Schmidt
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2002
      I still love it, warts and all. It didn't improve with re-reading, at least
      this time,
      although I still enjoyed many passages' prose. Books blurbs are always
      annoying, but it's true that TT is a rich and vital adventure. I will keep
      the stories and
      lose the parts I'm not now interested in.

      I'm not feeling ready to reread sailbad. Loved it, but read it twice and it
      was
      wartier the second time.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
        Okay, so I got a little behind schedule, there. . .

        Ahem. Mike Fenger wrote:

        >All in all, though, I have to say TT was a positive experience. I
        got stuck some places, and was wondering what was up in others, but
        there were certainly places that had me locked in."

        I think I agree. I was blown away many times. Bored only once or
        twice. Frequently lost (both plotwise and internal-
        interconnectedness / thematic-resonance -wise, the responsibility for
        which I'm happy to take). Sometimes irritated: the first-person dual
        narration would grate a bit at times. A little more "cutesyness"
        than I was used to from his other books (tell me the baby-name deal
        didn't wear thin. :p )

        A belated thanks for a discussion that I enjoyed. Some serious
        firepower displayed in the Readerly Perceptiveness department, to say
        nothing of the skill with which those insights were expressed. I may
        poke around some of the posts and continue to respond to or ask
        this 'n that.

        Mark
        ~