Re: Commentary: Day 11 and 12

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In johnbarth@y..., Michael Perez <studiovheissu@y...> wrote:
      > So, even though we know Blooey! is on its way, we are still pretty
      much
      > assured of a mostly happy, though thoroughly improbable and crowded,
      > ending.

      Do I detect a note of cynicism here, Michael? :)

      > The main story in this section, the Scheherazade menstruation story,
      > answers a question P posed on Day 0 and gives us cause to think
      about
      > "Why 14?" leading to "Why 10 years?" for Odysseus or "Why 1/2 hour?"
      > for DQ's stay in the Cave of Montesinos. Are the answers
      > "dramaturgical, not mathematical"

      And there's all those other numerical traditions-- Biblical 40
      days/nights or 7 days/nights. Or, in many fables, the protagonist
      often waits 3 days/nights for his/her next action.

      , "The Swan Prince of Queenstown Creek," was fraught with
      > continuity problems and blatant, though funny, anachronisms. It was
      > not a carefully well thought out story or told in a way worthy of a
      > founder of the ASPS.

      Agreed. In my 3rd readng of this section, I still do not like it at
      all. Why? It has very little antecedent to the rest of "our" stories
      (TT or classical lit--except for, I guess, "Swan Lake"); it's
      foreshadowing by the kids sounds like something totally awesome, but
      ends up rather anticlimactic; and its appearance this late in the
      game just brings all the action thus far to a screeching halt (IMHO).

      The second, K's retelling of the first two parts
      > of P's revised DQ after Montesinos, was improvised from detailed
      notes,
      > but well-told and incorporated immediately into reality, such as it
      is
      > in this book, in the form of CDQ's personal saga.

      And I liked this instead--like P's gestating "Rocinante II" story,
      when I first read TT I had very little previoius knowledge of "1001
      Arabian Nights", but JB gave me enough info to get me interested,
      made a nice conceit, and made me want to get the original book itself
      (which I later did). And I hate math!

      > As readers, I think I can safely assume we have long given up the
      idea
      > of reality in this book. It's more García Marquez than Melville,
      more
      > Dalí than Turner (if it were a painting), more Buñuel than Lean (if
      it
      > were a film).

      More Syd Barrett than Bob Dylan if it were music? :)
    • Michael Perez
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2002
        agrimorfee wrote:
        "More Syd Barrett than Bob Dylan if it were music?"

        Yeah! I guess so. "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like . .
        ."

        Michael

        http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/