Re: Commentary: Day 11 and 12

  • Kris Majer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hats off to Michael for a monumental synopsis & a bunch of juicy,
      thought-provoking comments! I'm too much in the whirlwind of Easter family
      gatherings at the moment to get into any serious answering now, but I'll
      get back to all that. Meanwhile I'm putting together (in my head so far)
      some possible reasons for which DQ, the novel, is so important for JB - so
      you'll probably be hearing from me on that. It'll probably all be old hat
      anyway, but it's fun to go through anyway (for me it is).

      So - Happy Easter everyone!

      .K

      Oh & PS: Mark, I guess you are right about the Key & Treasure bit....

      --

      Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In johnbarth@y..., Michael Perez <studiovheissu@y...> wrote:
        > So, even though we know Blooey! is on its way, we are still pretty
        much
        > assured of a mostly happy, though thoroughly improbable and crowded,
        > ending.

        Do I detect a note of cynicism here, Michael? :)

        > The main story in this section, the Scheherazade menstruation story,
        > answers a question P posed on Day 0 and gives us cause to think
        about
        > "Why 14?" leading to "Why 10 years?" for Odysseus or "Why 1/2 hour?"
        > for DQ's stay in the Cave of Montesinos. Are the answers
        > "dramaturgical, not mathematical"

        And there's all those other numerical traditions-- Biblical 40
        days/nights or 7 days/nights. Or, in many fables, the protagonist
        often waits 3 days/nights for his/her next action.

        , "The Swan Prince of Queenstown Creek," was fraught with
        > continuity problems and blatant, though funny, anachronisms. It was
        > not a carefully well thought out story or told in a way worthy of a
        > founder of the ASPS.

        Agreed. In my 3rd readng of this section, I still do not like it at
        all. Why? It has very little antecedent to the rest of "our" stories
        (TT or classical lit--except for, I guess, "Swan Lake"); it's
        foreshadowing by the kids sounds like something totally awesome, but
        ends up rather anticlimactic; and its appearance this late in the
        game just brings all the action thus far to a screeching halt (IMHO).

        The second, K's retelling of the first two parts
        > of P's revised DQ after Montesinos, was improvised from detailed
        notes,
        > but well-told and incorporated immediately into reality, such as it
        is
        > in this book, in the form of CDQ's personal saga.

        And I liked this instead--like P's gestating "Rocinante II" story,
        when I first read TT I had very little previoius knowledge of "1001
        Arabian Nights", but JB gave me enough info to get me interested,
        made a nice conceit, and made me want to get the original book itself
        (which I later did). And I hate math!

        > As readers, I think I can safely assume we have long given up the
        idea
        > of reality in this book. It's more García Marquez than Melville,
        more
        > Dalí than Turner (if it were a painting), more Buñuel than Lean (if
        it
        > were a film).

        More Syd Barrett than Bob Dylan if it were music? :)
      • Michael Perez
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2002
          agrimorfee wrote:
          "More Syd Barrett than Bob Dylan if it were music?"

          Yeah! I guess so. "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like . .
          ."

          Michael

          http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/