Re: allow myself to introduce myself

    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2001
      "Yes. well, wow."

      And welcome.

      You've got a good bit o' Barth under your belt, Mr. B. Myself, I've
      read everything but LETTERS, Sabbatical, Tidewater, and Last Voyage -
      into each of which I've peeked only a lay-of-the-land-getting 50 pages
      or so.

      >Who else do you folks like? Skimming around I noticed references to Pynchon and, elsewhere, David Foster Wallace...

      DFW is a recent fascination of mine; I'm glad you brought him up. I've
      been wondering if anyone else here has read him. I've read only
      "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men" and "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll
      Never Do Again." Prodigally gifted, I'd say (as some jacket-blurb
      says of Barth).

      >Recently I read some Philip Roth for the first time...

      I just picked up "The Counterlife" (1987) for a whopping $0.75.
      ("Withdrawn," the black block-lettered ink stamp informs me, from the
      branch library located a stone's-throw from my apartment). Should I
      read the thing?
    • Kris Majer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2001
        Yo,

        I once ordered "Infinite Jest" from the library, but gave up when they
        handed it to me - 1000 pages in small print. Not that I don't like long
        books - any Barth lover has to - but I had a few other long ones on my head
        then and was looking forward to something brisk and short. Picked up "Dear
        Mr Capote" by Gordon Lish in the end. But going to read DFW - in due course.
        Right after the (usual list of big ones follows)...

        >I've read everything but LETTERS, Sabbatical, Tidewater, and Last Voyage

        Mark, I'd thought you have read it all back and forth several times. Well,
        how about (carefully raising the question once put forward) a group-reading
        of LETTERS? Mal is the expert in that one, so he'd give us some feedback. I
        think it's a good idea for the summer. More, I think it's a GREAT idea for
        the summer. Since I was going to read it anyway!

        Oh, please, please, let's do it. (Even educated fleas do it, so...)

        Kris

        --
        26 maja - Dzien Matki. Wygraj kwiaty dla swojej Mamy!
        Do rozdania 75 bukietow z dostawa i zyczeniami.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2001
          That's a great idea, indeed, Kris.

          I do hope there'll be some interest from some of the
          lurkers.

          -Mark
          Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
        • Kris Majer
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2001
            Glad you're interested in the project, Mark! A-and Mal has also e-mailed me
            about it - what exactly did you mean by "winter pleasure"? Anyway, there's
            three of us in on it - two fresh fish and a seasoned one (weak puns not
            intended, but authorized ad hoc). Anyone else willing to do this? This is
            our chance to really get things going once more. From my experience, even
            completely dead groups (to use the Monty Python term) can re-vitalize - I
            can see it happening right now at the Calvino camp, which has been silent
            for nearly a year, but is stirring now and the life juices are beginning to
            circulate once more - spring in the air... In case anyone's interested,
            contribution is needed to the Malbork project: recollections of the Calvino
            experience etc., not really essays, rather the how-has-Calvino-affected-me
            sort of thing. Just in case: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/calvino

            Yup, really looking forward to LETTERS... If that works well, perhaps we can
            take on something else later? Just my imagination, running away with me.

            Btw, Nick Cave kicked royal ass. Judging by his last album, I'd have thought
            he has settled down and renounced the devil altogether.... Wrong! Lots of
            older stuff (to frighten the grandmothers!), a great show.

            Love,

            Kris