Nuggets from the Web!

  • Kris Majer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24 5:48 PM
      While you were out, your friend Kris Majer has been picking up nuggets from
      the Web re your favourite author. Here is what he has found or else
      composed, purely for your pleasure:

      1) Musings on Titles in Translation + a matching exercise
      2) Interview with Farnsworth
      3) Opening of a certain book
      4) Articles on JB
      5) Quirks

      Please excuse if you've seen it before...

      TRANSLATION

      Get this: The Sot-Weed Faktor is "Der Tabakhändler" in German... Quite nice.
      The Spanish have their "El Plantador de Tabaco". The Polish translation has
      the title "Bakunowy Faktor", and I have to admit that it was the ONLY book
      in my entire life that I started reading without understanding any of the
      words in its title! Swear to God that I have never heard or seen the word
      "bakun" used otherwise than in reference to the book... As for "faktor",
      that might have been more common some 200 or 300 years ago, which seems
      appropriate. Hee, hee, see if you can do this matching exercise...

      Match the title in English with that in Polish:

      1. The Floating Opera 1. Egidiusz Koziolek
      2. The End of the Road 2. Opowiadac dalej
      3. Giles Goat-Boy 3. Zagubiony w labiryncie smiechu
      4. Lost in the Funhouse 4. Koniec drogi
      5. Letters 5. Ostatnia podroz Sindbada Zeglarza
      6. The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor 6. Plywajaca opera
      7. On With The Story 7. Listy

      Answers: (mailto: stonk@...)

      And this: "Bolyongás az elvarázsolt kastélyban" is the Hungarian title for
      "Lost in the Funhouse". You wouldn't have guessed, would you? Or "Perdu dans
      le labyrinthe" in French. Our Goat-Boy translates into French as
      "l'Enfant-Bouc", and everyone can decipher "l'Opéra flottant" for
      themselves. And the beautiful Spanish "Quimera"...

      Oh well. You might not be interested in this at all. But I'm the language
      freak in these parts...

      ***************************

      INTERVIEW

      Every now and then I type "John Barth" into the browser and dig up things
      that everyone else has read long ago. In case anyone didn't (and I certainly
      didn't) here's the 1998 interview conducted by Elizabeth Farnsworth. Else,
      BY ALL MEANS scroll down, more nuggets await!

      http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec98/barth_11-18.html

      *********************************

      OPENING

      But this was a really nice surprise... Something called Postmodern
      Literature openings has the *entire* Publisher's Disclaimer from Giles
      Goat-Boy...

      http://www.english.swt.edu/cohen_p/Postmodern/Literature/Openings/Barth.html

      And some other grand openings are there as well - Gravity's Rainbow, Lolita,
      Satanic Verses... I think Walter Abish's "Alphabetical Africa" is worth
      checking out - you might never want to use that first letter of the alphabet
      again...

      "Ages ago, Alex, Allen and Alva arrived at Antibes, and Alva allowing all,
      allowing anyone, against Alex's admonition, against Allen's angry assertion:
      another African amusement . . . anyhow, as all argued, an awesome African
      army assembled and arduously advanced against an African anthill,
      assiduously annihilating ant after ant, and afterward, Alex astonishingly
      accuses Albert as also accepting Africa's antipodal ant annexation. Albert
      argumentatively answers at another apartment. Answers: ants are Ameisen.
      Ants are Ameisen?"

      Do see it!

      http://www.english.swt.edu/cohen_p/Postmodern/Literature/Openings/Abish.html

      ************************

      Hmm, this looks interesting... Wish I'd read Vineland, though.

      "Dirk Vanderbeke (Greifswald)
      Vineland in the Novels of John Barth and Thomas Pynchon"

      http://www.diss.sense.uni-konstanz.de/amerika/vanderbeke.htm

      And this... Wish I'd read "Once Upon a Time", though.

      CLARA BARTOCCI
      "John Barth's Once Upon a Time: Fiction or Autobiography?"

      http://www.aisna.org/rsajournal6/bartocci.html

      QUIRKS

      The ultimate guide to John Barth!!!!! .... in Italian.

      http://www.scaruffi.com/writers/barth.html

      Hope you enjoy these! More Titles in Translations soon.

      MetiKulous Kris

      --
      26 maja - Dzień Matki. Wygraj kwiaty dla swojej Mamy!
      Do rozdania 75 bukietów z dostawą i życzeniami.