O Tempora, o Mores...

  • Kris Majer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2001
      Fellow Barth-lovers!

      Pray, why is this board dead? Is it possible that we have exhausted
      ourselves and our beloved inexhaustible Author? Even though Mal and I have
      made a wee field trip to Pynchonia, it is here that we truly belong, isn't
      it? Mark! J/M! Angela! Where are you? De profundis clamavi...

      Krestfallen Kris

      --
      26 maja - Dzien Matki. Wygraj kwiaty dla swojej Mamy!
      Do rozdania 75 bukietow z dostawa i zyczeniami.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2001
        >Mark! J/M! Angela! Where are you? De profundis clamavi...

        ZZZzzz. . . [snort] HUH? Oh.

        Well.

        Our man says somewhere in _The Friday Book_ that mystery (his term
        for 'mysticism,' really) and tragedy are the two most profound

        Do you agree?
      • Mal
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2001
          --- In johnbarth@y..., mark_brawner@h... wrote:
          > >Mark! J/M! Angela! Where are you? De profundis clamavi...
          >

          > ZZZzzz. . . [snort] HUH? Oh.
          >
          > Well.
          >
          > Our man says somewhere in _The Friday Book_ that mystery (his term
          > for 'mysticism,' really) and tragedy are the two most profound
          >
          > Do you agree?

          Hey, Mark.
          You didn't sleep too long, did you?
          I'm a rationalist (ha ha ha wheeze the study walls) so
          mystery/mysticism to me is/are just interim reports, unfinished
          business. Soon to be sorted out and neatly explained.
          Tragedy is something we saw coming but didn't do anything about.
          So I think I agree with you.

          M.
        • Kris Majer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2001
            Whoa! Big guns straight away!

            Good morning, Mark, happy to see you up and about. A-and you immediately
            plunge right in the midst of Mystery and Tragedy! I'm impressed. My waking
            process is very slow, I tend to sit on the bed with one sock half up my
            ankle and stare into the window for some time before I remember who I am.

            Mystery and Tragedy, yes, well.... In a way, Mystery is the key to the
            Tragedy, in that the only satisfying explanation of why we have to go
            through the Tragedy is to be found outside - in the Mystery of Love, God,
            Higher Order, anything... For me what most literature is about is how
            Tragedy is mapped out into Mystery. And what is the final score. Yes, so
            that's quite obvious, isn't it... But I don't remember what JB had in mind
            in that essay from Friday Book or perhaps I haven't read it.

            And those stories! Never heard of them... The only unpublished work that
            I've heard about is "Lilith and the Lion" and even though some of us are not
            quite enthusiastic about JB's first pair, it would be nice to get ahold of
            that one.

            I've just noticed that photo that Mark has put up on the front page and
            thought it looked like one of Vermeer's paintings - a frozen moment and the
            light pouring in through the window... I bet the floor is all black and
            white squares!

            Hell, I missed this group.

            Kontent Kris