Kris against the clock

  • Mal
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      Kris,

      With re-reading Barth and dissecting Gravity's Rainbow, when do you
      get time to eat far less do all the other work you're supposed
      to?

      Mal
    • Kris Majer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
        Good question, Mal, I marvel at it myself... But here's how it is. I don't own a car, so wherever I go I use that old-fashioned machine, obsolete in most parts of the world, the tram, which gives me plenty of time to read (I have to travel from home to university downtown, then uptown to the school where I teach English and back home in the evening, which leaves me with at least 1 and a half hours on the tram) and that's when I'm reading "Funhouse" now. As to GR, I read it at home, in the evening, with a bunch of dictionaries and online resources printouts... with Pynchon's inclination to bizarre vocabulary, that tends to be rather slow and it seems that I'm lagging behind the Pynchon group some 20 pages today, which probably means 50 pages next week. But I don't think it matters anymore, since all the others have stopped posting anything whatsoever and the group reading has somehow lost its initial flavour...

        Thanks, J/M for the detailed post on "The Seekers", I'm sort of beginning to get the picture here... Really looking forward to reading LETTERS... I guess I'll have to make it the second type reading, i.e. detailed, at home. Another thing that struck me in the Funhouse - Chimera connection: several sections of F are virtually re-written in C, sometimes almost verbatim, which I forgot to mention before, but it's what primarily led to me to remark that Chimera is self-referential (which I mean here not as meta-textual, but with actual references to *own* texts) to the extent unheard of in the previous 5 books... I'm talking about the description of the dump where Ambrose goes as paralelled by Bellerophon's description of a similar dump next to the well, the water-message scene with Ambrose/Perse vs Bellerophon/Polyeidus, who *is* the message at the time, and the passage about unnamed fish nosing the bottle, under strange stars, until etc... I wonder how that compares to Barth's repeating certain sentences or even larger units of text across his novels, essays and public performances, a sort of feeling that this particular idea is so well phrased that any tinkering with it would be a potential loss... I don't know, that's the idea I got reading large sections of both Fridays.

        Kris
      • Mal
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
          Aha!

          In Melbourne we also have trams, tres Kafkaesque, gothique. But I
          haven't been on one for years mainly because they don't take me where
          I want to go. I am alas wedded to the internal combustion engine and
          you read novels in that carriage at great risk to yourself and
          everyone else on the road.
          Pity, because by the the time I get home and try to read for
          enjoyment and enlightenment, I am generally too drunk to take
          anything in.

          Well. There. I've said it.

          Any comments, Mark?

          Mal.