Re: sheesh...

  • Mal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2001
      --- In johnbarth@y..., j-martin@w... wrote:
      > First, I saw what has become of our old JohnBarthHall site. Then I
      > tried to post a last goodbye, several times: does anyone know what
      an
      > "error 500" might be? Well, never mind.

      Alas, yes. Contemplating its decline brings a lump to the throat and
      moistness to the nostrils. But sic transit gloria etc., towards the
      end there were really only 3 of us paying much attention. Someone,
      an administrator I suppose (or a bot - is there a difference?) had
      begun to recycle the earliest messages!

      But a new millenium, new resolves (all of them bold, for sure!)and a
      new home should set us right for quite a while. For, in the words of
      legendary F Mercury, "We're the princes of the universe!" (not gender
      specific, I hasten to add, J).

      Hell. Does that sound immodest, d'ye think?

      M.
    • j-martin@web.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- In johnbarth@y..., "Mal" <annemac@a...> wrote:
        > But a new millenium, new resolves (all of them bold, for sure!)and
        > new home should set us right for quite a while. For, in the words
        of
        > legendary F Mercury, "We're the princes of the universe!" (not
        gender
        > specific, I hasten to add, J).
        >
        > Hell. Does that sound immodest, d'ye think?

        Ah, not really. Modesty fails in the face of the paper advice
        seekers. I just wish I had much more time to actually explore this
        whole new & improved universe...

        I was thrilled that Pynchon's GR found its way to this site: I've
        also begun a thorough rereading of GR last summer, after working my
        way through "V" again. I sure may not have written much since (next
        to nothing, namely), and was even unable to give these here postings
        more than a mere glance at times -- but yes, I think we've taken a
        big step forward, contentwise.

        Ah, speaking of which (Pynchon, I mean): After rereading 1/1 V and
        1/3 GR, well, your pet theory became more and more unlikely, to me.
        But a nice shot, still! Anyway: If there's, at last, some truth value
        attached, I'd rather lay my bets on a reversed outcome (about who's
        real and who's not).

        Everything else would be way too simple, I'm sure...

        yo!s,
        J/M