Choir voices

  • leonorbarroso
    Message 1 of 390 , Sep 1, 1999
      I 've been listening to 2 different versions of
      St Matthews Passion, one by<br>Gustave Leonardt with
      a mixed chorus, and another by Nikolaus
      Harnoncourt,<br>with counter tenors and boys singing the soprano
      parts, including the solos,<br>and I must admit that I
      prefer the first.<br>I supose that at St Thomas School
      there were only boys, but did male singers<br>sang the
      soprano solos to? Were castrati also usual in Germany?
      And if so,<br>aren't we taking historical trueness to
      Message 390 of 390 , Feb 21, 2002