Re: Thorough Bass

  • pgwatchorn
    Message 1 of 390 , Nov 12, 2001
      The best introduction to figured bass is the 2
      volume "Figured Bass Accompaniment" by Peter Williams
      (Edinburgh University Press). It explains not only the
      figures themselves, but different ways in which the art
      of figured bass was applied in different places at
      different times (it deals with Bach's continuo style as
      well). It also features (in one entire volume) various
      practical exercises of different degrees of difficulty.
      Incidentally, I have just completed a new recording of the six
      sonatas for violin and harpsichord (I am the
      harpsichordist) and have also taught figured bass for many years.
      If you want to check out what I would do with the
      realisations (I improvised them for the recording) then you
      can find it on the Musica Omnia label (available at
      Tower, HMV, Borders etc.). Also you can look at
      musicaomnia.com<br><br>It is true that the continuo realisations in Bach's
      music need to be in the same contrapuntal style as the
      written-out parts (as you know, the keyboard parts of the six
      sonatas contain everything from two to five-part
      counterpoint).Let me know if you need further information.
      Message 390 of 390 , Feb 21 1:56 AM