Re: Hello Everyone i am new here

  • gene_debs2000
    Message 1 of 390 , Sep 30, 2000
      Hi:<br><br>Another new person, from Ohio. Bach
      recordings I like? Where do I start. As Brahms said, "Study
      Bach - all things start with Bach."<br><br>The first
      recording that really grabed me was Glenn Gould doing The
      Goldberg Variations.<br>The reason I started listening to
      Bach was that I was told that Gerry Mulligan & Chet
      Baker were using Bach Two-Part Inventions with their
      improvision so I wanted to listen to Bach.<br><br>From the
      Goldberg Variations (I have four recordings of Gould
      playing them.) I went on the Philadelphia Orchestra
      playing the organ works. The heard organist Helmut
      Walcha. Was sidetracked by E. Power Biggs. Then heard
      Marie Claire Alain. She remains one of my favorite
      organists. My first hearding of the keyboard concertos was
      with Glenn Gould as well and I recently bought them on
      CD. To me Gould adds so much to what ever he plays
      Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Gibbons et al<br><br>There is
      so much more to tell. I can't think of anything by
      Bach I don't like. I enjoy the Cantatas, the Sinfonias
      to those Cantatas, the Concertos, the Flute Sonatas
      (Elaine Shaffer!!!), Xmas Oratorio, Mass in b etc.
      Public Radio, Pipe Dreams. It is broadcast on Public
      Radio stations and some commerical Fine Arts or
      Classical Music stations such as WCLV here in Cleveland at
      10:30 p.m. Sunday nights. The host is Michael Barrone.
      He and I are Bob & Ray fans and when we see each
      other at conferences we launch into Bob & Ray routines.
      write more later. Thanks for listening.<br><br>Yours
      for the OBU<br><br>Bill
      Message 390 of 390 , Feb 21, 2002