Re: which churches play it?

  • TheFatIdiot
    Message 1 of 390 , Aug 30, 2000
      Churches that use Bach's music in the bible
      belt?!? Hmm... that's a hard question to answer as I
      don't live there, and I also do not attend church
      regularly as I am not a Christian. The pieces I suggested
      are unlikely to be used in normal services but more
      probably in concerts/recitals, though you might hear
      random movements from the Trio sonatas or selections
      from Orgelbuchlein in actual services. <br><br>Larger
      churches (like Congregational churches) have a higher
      chance to program more lengthy Bach organ Prelude &
      Fugues on Sunday services as preludes and postludes to
      showcase their larger organs, these larger pipe organs
      that comes with the larger churches (usually!) also
      does better justice to the monumental pieces in my
      humble opinion. The trios are a rare exception in that
      they don't require a wide range of stops and the big
      sound to make the piece sound all awe-inspiring and
      impressive.<br><br>Unfortunately for me, when I want to hear such music live in
      person I'd often have to drive all the way to available
      practise organs and play them myself. This takes away some
      enjoyment because I'll have to divide my attention between
      reading the music and playing it instead of just
      concentrating on listening to it alone. Plus the organ console
      is usually not really the acoustically ideal spot to
      hear the pipes sing. But then again, organ concerts
      that features my favourite pieces are not that common,
      and the performances aren't always up to par. (while
      I have an excuse for messing up since I am not a
      professional and am an idiot...)<br><br>The Fat Idiot
      Message 390 of 390 , Feb 21, 2002