Re: Bach 2000s/Is there any bad music by

  • pgwatchorn
    Message 1 of 390 , Jan 13, 2000
      If you want to hear a deliberately "bad" piece by
      Bach, listen to cantata BWV 201 "The Contest between
      Phoebus and Pan". The aria sung by King Midas, just
      before he grows ass's ears is deliberately bad (this is
      self-explanatory - just listen to it!). I know all 1080 or so
      works listed in the catalogue, and I have never found
      an unintentionally bad piece among them, and as you
      note, even Beethoven could write pretty uninspired
      works on occasion (as well as masterpieces). You should
      also listen to the "peasant" cantata for some music
      written in a deliberately "rustic" style. Bach's
      commissioned works are all masterpieces - and he re-used them,
      never letting anything good go to waste - good, thrifty
      Lutheran that he was.
      Message 390 of 390 , Feb 21, 2002