Gnosis and Johannine studies

  • wcmills
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2000
      to read again the large volume by Simone Petrement <A Separate God> translated
      into English in the late 1980's. She is a forerunner of those who believe that
      "Gnosticism" must only be understood against a New Testament background, it is
      impossible to think otherwise. While some of the evidence seems to be extreme
      (that Apollos in Acts was a Gnostic) the majority of the book is certainly food
      for thought. I also urge those who are interested in this topic to read Michael
      Allen Williams <Re-Thinking Gnosticism> published by Princeton Univ. Press. An
      excellent evaluation of the term "Gnosis" and "Gnosticism."

      Happy reading.

      William Mills