Re: Re[2]: [John_Lit] FG and Synoptics: An Honest Question

  • Peter Hofrichter
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1969
      Dear Prof. Salyer,
      You ask what is the benefit of all this "proto" to our genereation. This is a very necessary question. Is it only a useless hobby of scholars far from real faith and church life? The contrary is the case. For instance, if chapter 21 and the running of Peter (and later also of the beloved disciple) to the empty tomb is secundary, Peter was originally designed as a rather poor figure in this (as I am convinced first) Gospel: mainly as a betrayer of Jesus. At the other hand Paul and the synoptics stress and support his authority. The further development of the johannine text shows that there was a severe controversy about the position of Peter in the Church already at the earliest time. This is an important discovery in respect to the primacy debate (the primacy of the Pope). Or if the motives of flesh and blood in the bread sermon (Jn 6) is secundary, this shows that the this interpretation of eucharist together with is origin in the Last Supper was not common to the whole Jesus movement. The "johannine" line continues in the didache, the apocryphal apostle acts of John and Thomas and in the anaphora of Addai and Mari. Or, if Mary Magdalene originally played an important role already in the beginning of the Gospel and was later changed to the still nameless Mother of Jesus, this opens new perspectives to our picture of Jesus and to the future of Church and faith. Gnostic traces of Mary Magdalenes as female apostle gain a new reliability.
      Peter Hofrichter

      Univ.-Prof. DDr. Peter Hofrichter
      Vorstand des Instituts f├╝r Kirchengeschichte und Patrologie
      Universit├Ątsplatz 1, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria
      Tel +43/662/8044/2700, 2704, Fax 2709
      privat: Wallmannhofstrasse 3, A-5400 Hallein, Austria
      Tel/Fax +43/6245/85010, +43/664/2027098
      Homepage: http://www.sbg.ac.at/kig/fs2.htm