Re: Re[2]: [John_Lit] Canonical Placement and John

  • Peter Hofrichter
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 1969
      Gary D. Sailer proposed a change of the cononical order of the Gospels. My comment:
      I agree totally to the canonical order you propose: Jn-Mk-Mt-Lk. At least a similar order order (Jn-Mt-Mk-Lk) is already observed in early Egyptian tradition in a socery text.

      Univ.-Prof. DDr. Peter Hofrichter
      Vorstand des Instituts f├╝r Kirchengeschichte und Patrologie
      Universit├Ątsplatz 1, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria
      Tel +43/662/8044/2700, 2704, Fax 2709
      privat: Wallmannhofstrasse 3, A-5400 Hallein, Austria
      Tel/Fax +43/6245/85010, +43/664/2027098
      Homepage: http://www.sbg.ac.at/kig/fs2.htm
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2000
        Gary Salyer wrote:

        "To me, there can be no debate that at some level,
        canonical ordering, at least in the later lists for
        both the OT and NT, reflect some kind of hermeneutical
        ordering via importance. In the OT, the Torah begins
        it all, and the Writings, reflecting the least
        'authoritative', occupies the position of 'the rest'
        to quote Sirach 1. In the NT, the Synoptics occupy
        the first position, while the Catholic epistles and
        Revelation seem to occupy a position similar to the
        'rest' as mentioned in Sirach."

        Gary, I'm not sure that this analysis works for the
        book of Revelation. Conclusions are pretty impotant,
        and Revelation seems ot function as a -- no, as THE --
        conclusion to sacred history.

        http://mail.yahoo.com/