Re[2]: Re[2]: [John_Lit] Canonical Placement and John

  • gds@dor.kaiser.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2000
      Professor Ramsey:

      Thanks so much for that lead. (I will look this up at the GTU library soon!).
      May I ask you a question? Do you suppose it was neglected because people just
      were too settled in their 'canonical ways' back then (probably now as well), or
      because there just isn't that big of a difference? As I remember that period,
      there were a lot of things where critical scholarship was doing similar things
      across the board. For instance, there is a critical edition of Ecclesiastes at
      about that time (forgot who at the moment) that took out all of the 'pious
      editions' and placed them in an appendix. I just wonder if the idea was ahead
      of its time, rather mute at best, or something else? For me, I don't think it
      would be a real big difference, but I do think having John first would leave the
      reader with a somewhat different feel for what lies at the center of the
      'Christological' experience, to coin a new phrase.

      - Gary

      Subject: Re: Re[2]: [John_Lit] Canonical Placement and John
      Author: <johannine_literature@egroups.com>
      Date: 10/10/00 1:43 PM

      Gary:

      Ferrar Fenton, in his The Holy Bible in Modern English (1903) did what you
      propose,*almost* exactly: John, 1 John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, Romans,
      etc., etc., with 2 and 3 John in their proper places just before Jude and
      Revelation. This had the benevolent side effect of joining Luke with Acts.
      But no one paid much attention.

      Ramsey Michaels

      SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com
      PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com