Re: [John_Lit] Son of Man?

  • SUN
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
      Dear Frank,

      I would love to have two copies, one for my own library, the other for my seminary's library.  How would that work out? Would you mind sending me through mail?  Please let me konw.

      Poling Sun
      Hong Kong Baptist Theological Seminary

      Francis Moloney wrote:

      Dear Everyone, Dare I enter?  As nothing has been said, I suppose I should.  I wrote a large volume on the Johannine Son of Man as my Oxford D. Phil. thesis.  It went through two editions in three years, and is generally regarded as the basic treatment of the question.  There are several issues that I would look at again at this stage of my life, but its basic orientation is - I believe (with the exception of 3:13 and 6:62) - OK.  As well as my study, there have been some important studies since that have not been mentioned, especially Lindars and Hare. As many in the group know, my "Johannine Son of Man" is now out of print.  However, I have all remaining copies.  If anyone is interested, let me know, and I can let you have it for $10US. Frank Moloney, SDBThe Catholic University of America.

      SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com
      PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com

    • Bill Skelton
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
        Prof. Michaels wrote:

        > I have always thought that ho huios tou anthropou in Greek was formed on
        the
        > model of ho huios tou theou. Does the latter mean "the son of the god"?
        >
        > Ramsey Michaels

        This is new to me and perhaps to other non-scholars on the list as well.

        Is it really true that "ho huios tou theou" was the model for the phrase in
        question? If it isn't too involved, would you be able say something about
        the basis is of this belief and/or how well founded it is?

        -Bill Skelton
        wskelton76@...

      • ProfRam@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
          Where else would we get such an odd Greek expression as ho huios tou
          anthropou, on the (Aramaic or Hebrew) basis of bar 'enosh or bar nasha?

          Ramsey Michaels
        • wcmills
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
            Francis:

            I would like to have a copy as well, but how do I make a payment? Need address too.

            Thanks.

            Fr. Mills

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
              Dear Fr Mills,

              If you will let me have your address, I will send off a copy immediately.  I will charge the $10US and some postage (depending on where you are), and the address will be on a note.  However, I am at: Biblical Studies Department, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC 20064, USA.  However, do not send a check until you have the book from me.

              Let me have your address and I will get it off to you.

              Regards,

              Frank Moloney, SDB

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000

                Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 9:19 AM

                Dear Frank,

                Does your reply to Fr. Mills applys to us outsiders too? I mean, outside of U.S.A. Once again I am interested in your book and would like to pay for one copy.

                Mesfin Atlaye
                Doctoral Student at Wycliffe
                Toronto.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                    Dear Polling Sun,

                    I am sorry to have to use the list, but your email address is not on your submission.  Please send me your address at MOLONEY@....  I will certainly send 2 copies.

                    Thanks for your interest.  And the same to all the group.  Sorry for these intrusions.

                    Frank Moloney

                    Francis Moloney wrote:

[...]

                  • C.W..Wali van Lohuizen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 13, 2000
                      Dear Frank Moloney
                      Only now I am aware of the possibility of obtaining your book.
                      If there is a spare copy still, I would appriciate to get one.
                      Payment from Holland might be a problem, as sending the book might be
                      cumbersome.
                      I will be at Nashville. If you would be there, we could exchange. Or with
                      somebody on your behalf?
                      I am looking forward hearing from you,
                      Wali van Lohuizen
                      Singel 170-172
                      1015 AH Amsterdam, Holland
                    • Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                        Dear Wali,

                        I am putting a copy of "The Johannine Son of Man" in the mail for you today.
                        As far as payment is concerned, I will not be at the SBL meeting. I always
                        go, but find that they are getting bigger, weaker, and more confused each
                        year.

                        For payment, while you are in the USA, just put $14 in an envelope and send
                        it to me while you are in the USA. My address is:

                        Professor Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                        Department of Biblical Studies
                        The Catholic University of America
                        Washington, DC 20064

                        That should cover all costs. Thanks for your interest, and good reading!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                          Dear Frank,
                          Thank you for taking care. I feel honored to get your book in this personal
                          way.
                          Yes, payment in this way is practical.
                          Thanks for the trouble,\.

                          Wali