Re: [John_Lit] Son of Man?

  • Bill Skelton
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
      Jack (& everyone)

      1) Let me repeat reproduce Wink's citation of something from Morna Hooker
      which may be relevant to the question you are raising.

      "If the phrase was a common expression for "I" in Aramaic, then the use of
      the barbaric Greek phrase [ho huios tou anthropou] seems an inexplicable
      blunder, the fact that it was thought necessary to use this translationese
      suggests that there was already something a little unusual and special about
      the aramaic equivalent [bar enasha], even in an Aramaic speaking Community"
      (reference is given in note 6 of the Wink article attached to my first
      posting on this thread.)

      2) Wink points out that the equivalent Hebrew phrase in the OT, "ben adam",
      is used most often in Ezekiel. The prophet sees a vision of God as an
      apparently human figure. But then God goes on to address Ezekial as himself
      as "ben adam", "son of man". Wink, if I understand him correctly, takes this
      to mean that Ezekiel is being called the "son" of this figure, of God
      manifested as a "human figure".

      Bill Skelton
      wskelton76@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
        I have always thought that ho huios tou anthropou in Greek was formed on the
        model of ho huios tou theou. Does the latter mean "the son of the god"?

        Ramsey Michaels
      • SUN
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
          Dear Frank,

          I would love to have two copies, one for my own library, the other for my seminary's library.  How would that work out? Would you mind sending me through mail?  Please let me konw.

          Poling Sun
          Hong Kong Baptist Theological Seminary

          Dear Everyone, Dare I enter?  As nothing has been said, I suppose I should.  I wrote a large volume on the Johannine Son of Man as my Oxford D. Phil. thesis.  It went through two editions in three years, and is generally regarded as the basic treatment of the question.  There are several issues that I would look at again at this stage of my life, but its basic orientation is - I believe (with the exception of 3:13 and 6:62) - OK.  As well as my study, there have been some important studies since that have not been mentioned, especially Lindars and Hare. As many in the group know, my "Johannine Son of Man" is now out of print.  However, I have all remaining copies.  If anyone is interested, let me know, and I can let you have it for $10US. Frank Moloney, SDBThe Catholic University of America.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
            Prof. Michaels wrote:

            > I have always thought that ho huios tou anthropou in Greek was formed on
            the
            > model of ho huios tou theou. Does the latter mean "the son of the god"?
            >
            > Ramsey Michaels

            This is new to me and perhaps to other non-scholars on the list as well.

            Is it really true that "ho huios tou theou" was the model for the phrase in
            question? If it isn't too involved, would you be able say something about
            the basis is of this belief and/or how well founded it is?

            -Bill Skelton
            wskelton76@...

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
              Where else would we get such an odd Greek expression as ho huios tou
              anthropou, on the (Aramaic or Hebrew) basis of bar 'enosh or bar nasha?

              Ramsey Michaels
            • wcmills
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                Francis:

                I would like to have a copy as well, but how do I make a payment? Need address too.

                Thanks.

                Fr. Mills

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                  Dear Fr Mills,

                  If you will let me have your address, I will send off a copy immediately.  I will charge the $10US and some postage (depending on where you are), and the address will be on a note.  However, I am at: Biblical Studies Department, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC 20064, USA.  However, do not send a check until you have the book from me.

                  Let me have your address and I will get it off to you.

                  Regards,

                  Frank Moloney, SDB

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000

                    Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 9:19 AM

                    Dear Frank,

                    Does your reply to Fr. Mills applys to us outsiders too? I mean, outside of U.S.A. Once again I am interested in your book and would like to pay for one copy.

                    Mesfin Atlaye
                    Doctoral Student at Wycliffe
                    Toronto.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                        Dear Polling Sun,

                        I am sorry to have to use the list, but your email address is not on your submission.  Please send me your address at MOLONEY@....  I will certainly send 2 copies.

                        Thanks for your interest.  And the same to all the group.  Sorry for these intrusions.

                        Frank Moloney

                        Francis Moloney wrote:

[...]

                      • C.W..Wali van Lohuizen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 13, 2000
                          Dear Frank Moloney
                          Only now I am aware of the possibility of obtaining your book.
                          If there is a spare copy still, I would appriciate to get one.
                          Payment from Holland might be a problem, as sending the book might be
                          cumbersome.
                          I will be at Nashville. If you would be there, we could exchange. Or with
                          somebody on your behalf?
                          I am looking forward hearing from you,
                          Wali van Lohuizen
                          Singel 170-172
                          1015 AH Amsterdam, Holland
                        • Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                            Dear Wali,

                            I am putting a copy of "The Johannine Son of Man" in the mail for you today.
                            As far as payment is concerned, I will not be at the SBL meeting. I always
                            go, but find that they are getting bigger, weaker, and more confused each
                            year.

                            For payment, while you are in the USA, just put $14 in an envelope and send
                            it to me while you are in the USA. My address is:

                            Professor Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                            Department of Biblical Studies
                            The Catholic University of America
                            Washington, DC 20064

                            That should cover all costs. Thanks for your interest, and good reading!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                              Dear Frank,
                              Thank you for taking care. I feel honored to get your book in this personal
                              way.
                              Yes, payment in this way is practical.
                              Thanks for the trouble,\.

                              Wali