Re: [John_Lit] Son of Man?

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
      Thank you, Frank, for highlighting your important work; it is the standard
      treatment of the Johannine Son of Man and continues to be important.
      Speaking of Lindars, what do you think of his thesis in the light of your
      work?

      Paul

      Paul N. Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651
    • Felix Just, S.J.
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000

        and Francis Moloney wrote:

        > Dare I enter? As nothing has been said, I suppose I should. I wrote a large
        > volume on the Johannine Son of Man as my Oxford D. Phil. thesis. It went
        > through two editions in three years, and is generally regarded as the basic
        > treatment of the question.

        Frank - Since your book is unfortunately not available in many libraries here on
        the West Coast, I can't easily check it to see how you might answer the question
        posed Saturday by Bill Skelton (referring to Walter Wink) about the explicit
        "tou" in the expression "ho huios tou anthropou". Based on your own research,
        could you briefly summarize the arguments about whether it should be translated
        "the Son of Man" or possibly "the Son of THE Man"?

        Mary Margaret Pazdan - Your "Son of Man" book is generally available, but
        unfortuntaly not to me right now while I'm on leave this semester. So could you
        also offer a response to the same question?

        Thanks!
        Felix
        Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
        Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
        Website: http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust
      • mesfin
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000

          Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 11:02 AM
          Subject: [John_Lit] Son of Man?

          Dear Everyone,

          Dare I enter?  As nothing has been said, I suppose I should.  I wrote a large volume on the Johannine Son of Man as my Oxford D. Phil. thesis.  It went through two editions in three years, and is generally regarded as the basic treatment of the question.  There are several issues that I would look at again at this stage of my life, but its basic orientation is - I believe (with the exception of 3:13 and 6:62) - OK.  As well as my study, there have been some important studies since that have not been mentioned, especially Lindars and Hare.

          As many in the group know, my "Johannine Son of Man" is now out of print.  However, I have all remaining copies.  If anyone is interested, let me know, and I can let you have it for $10US.

          Frank Moloney, SDB
          The Catholic University of America.

          SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com
          PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com

          --------------
          this is for Frank Moloney,

          I like to get a copy of your "Johannine Son of Man." how can I make the payment? I am in Toronto Canada.

          Mesfin Atlaye
          A doctoral student at Wycliffe.

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
            > > The question of the "Son of Man" in the Synoptics and the Fourth Gospel
            is
            > > a proverbial one among scholars. I dealt with it in a monograph...
            >
            > and Francis Moloney wrote:
            >
            > > Dare I enter? As nothing has been said, I suppose I should. I wrote a
            large
            > > volume on the Johannine Son of Man as my Oxford D. Phil. thesis. It
            went
            > > through two editions in three years, and is generally regarded as the
            basic
            > > treatment of the question.
            >
            > Frank - Since your book is unfortunately not available in many libraries
            here on
            > the West Coast, I can't easily check it to see how you might answer the
            question
            > posed Saturday by Bill Skelton (referring to Walter Wink) about the
            explicit
            > "tou" in the expression "ho huios tou anthropou". Based on your own
            research,
            > could you briefly summarize the arguments about whether it should be
            translated
            > "the Son of Man" or possibly "the Son of THE Man"?
            >
            > Mary Margaret Pazdan - Your "Son of Man" book is generally available, but
            > unfortuntaly not to me right now while I'm on leave this semester. So
            could you
            > also offer a response to the same question?

            I would also be interested in the responses and how the Greek translation is
            relevent
            to the Aramaic brh d)n$). The proclitic d' is "of" and indicates possession
            of the
            previous word. Since I see the self referent as bareh d'nasha rather than
            ho huios
            tou anthropou, should we examine the Greek in the absence of the Aramaic?

            Jack
          • Bill Skelton
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
              Jack (& everyone)

              1) Let me repeat reproduce Wink's citation of something from Morna Hooker
              which may be relevant to the question you are raising.

              "If the phrase was a common expression for "I" in Aramaic, then the use of
              the barbaric Greek phrase [ho huios tou anthropou] seems an inexplicable
              blunder, the fact that it was thought necessary to use this translationese
              suggests that there was already something a little unusual and special about
              the aramaic equivalent [bar enasha], even in an Aramaic speaking Community"
              (reference is given in note 6 of the Wink article attached to my first
              posting on this thread.)

              2) Wink points out that the equivalent Hebrew phrase in the OT, "ben adam",
              is used most often in Ezekiel. The prophet sees a vision of God as an
              apparently human figure. But then God goes on to address Ezekial as himself
              as "ben adam", "son of man". Wink, if I understand him correctly, takes this
              to mean that Ezekiel is being called the "son" of this figure, of God
              manifested as a "human figure".

              Bill Skelton
              wskelton76@...

            • ProfRam@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
                I have always thought that ho huios tou anthropou in Greek was formed on the
                model of ho huios tou theou. Does the latter mean "the son of the god"?

                Ramsey Michaels
              • SUN
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
                  Dear Frank,

                  I would love to have two copies, one for my own library, the other for my seminary's library.  How would that work out? Would you mind sending me through mail?  Please let me konw.

                  Poling Sun
                  Hong Kong Baptist Theological Seminary

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
                    Prof. Michaels wrote:

                    > I have always thought that ho huios tou anthropou in Greek was formed on
                    the
                    > model of ho huios tou theou. Does the latter mean "the son of the god"?
                    >
                    > Ramsey Michaels

                    This is new to me and perhaps to other non-scholars on the list as well.

                    Is it really true that "ho huios tou theou" was the model for the phrase in
                    question? If it isn't too involved, would you be able say something about
                    the basis is of this belief and/or how well founded it is?

                    -Bill Skelton
                    wskelton76@...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2000
                      Where else would we get such an odd Greek expression as ho huios tou
                      anthropou, on the (Aramaic or Hebrew) basis of bar 'enosh or bar nasha?

                      Ramsey Michaels
                    • wcmills
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                        Francis:

                        I would like to have a copy as well, but how do I make a payment? Need address too.

                        Thanks.

                        Fr. Mills

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                          Dear Fr Mills,

                          If you will let me have your address, I will send off a copy immediately.  I will charge the $10US and some postage (depending on where you are), and the address will be on a note.  However, I am at: Biblical Studies Department, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC 20064, USA.  However, do not send a check until you have the book from me.

                          Let me have your address and I will get it off to you.

                          Regards,

                          Frank Moloney, SDB

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000

                            Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 9:19 AM

                            Dear Frank,

                            Does your reply to Fr. Mills applys to us outsiders too? I mean, outside of U.S.A. Once again I am interested in your book and would like to pay for one copy.

                            Mesfin Atlaye
                            Doctoral Student at Wycliffe
                            Toronto.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 10, 2000
                                Dear Polling Sun,

                                I am sorry to have to use the list, but your email address is not on your submission.  Please send me your address at MOLONEY@....  I will certainly send 2 copies.

                                Thanks for your interest.  And the same to all the group.  Sorry for these intrusions.

                                Frank Moloney

                                Francis Moloney wrote:

[...]

                              • C.W..Wali van Lohuizen
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 13, 2000
                                  Dear Frank Moloney
                                  Only now I am aware of the possibility of obtaining your book.
                                  If there is a spare copy still, I would appriciate to get one.
                                  Payment from Holland might be a problem, as sending the book might be
                                  cumbersome.
                                  I will be at Nashville. If you would be there, we could exchange. Or with
                                  somebody on your behalf?
                                  I am looking forward hearing from you,
                                  Wali van Lohuizen
                                  Singel 170-172
                                  1015 AH Amsterdam, Holland
                                • Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                                    Dear Wali,

                                    I am putting a copy of "The Johannine Son of Man" in the mail for you today.
                                    As far as payment is concerned, I will not be at the SBL meeting. I always
                                    go, but find that they are getting bigger, weaker, and more confused each
                                    year.

                                    For payment, while you are in the USA, just put $14 in an envelope and send
                                    it to me while you are in the USA. My address is:

                                    Professor Francis J. Moloney, SDB
                                    Department of Biblical Studies
                                    The Catholic University of America
                                    Washington, DC 20064

                                    That should cover all costs. Thanks for your interest, and good reading!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 16, 2000
                                      Dear Frank,
                                      Thank you for taking care. I feel honored to get your book in this personal
                                      way.
                                      Yes, payment in this way is practical.
                                      Thanks for the trouble,\.

                                      Wali