"Son of The Man"

  • Bill Skelton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2000
      My question may be inappropriate for  the list since it concerns something that is not specific to John. If so feel free to ignore it.

      The term in "Son of Man" occurs in all four Gospels, translating "ho huios tou anthropou". Walter Wink, in the article which may be found at the address which follows, makes much of the fact that the article "tou" is included in the term which he says should thus be translated "Son of the Man", "the Man" being an Archetype of God revealing Himself as human. (He goes so far as to speak of a conspiracy of some kind.) Is there any truth to this and should it be "Son of  the Man" rather than "Son of Man"?

      Also, to make it more Johannine, is there a difference between the Synoptic and Johannine "Son of Man"?

      Bill Skelton