[John_Lit] Re: John-Words

  • epiphany@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 1999
      On 05/20/99 11:35:19 you wrote:

      >As a starter I would like to provide a list of words that appear (at least
      >twice) in the Gospel of John, but nowhere else in the NT.
      >
      >Best wishes
      > Wieland

      I think a more interesting approach would be not just to determine those words in John which
      appear nowhere else in the NT. Rather, why not look at those words which, while they may appear
      elsewhere in the NT (esp. the synoptics), appear more often in John, being used with differing
      emphases? Such an exercise, I believe, will give us more of a cluse concerning the background
      of teh gospel, esp. in terms of its rhetoric and possible author/speaker-reader/hearer dynamic.
      Here's an example of a few such words:

      ginosko: unlike its usage in the synoptics, John uses this verb in relation to Jesus and his
      Father, often with Jesus or his Father as the direct object. No where in the synoptics do we
      find Jesus or his Father as the object of this verb.

      gnorizo: the only place in the synoptics we find this verb is in Luke 2:15, with its subject
      being "the Lord." However, in John we find Jesus as the subject of this verb in 15:15 and
      17:26. The use of the verb in John shows Jesus as one who reveals what he hears from his
      Father.

      doxazo: this verb appears 14 times in the synoptics, and 17 times in John. In the synoptics,
      no where is Jesus the object of this verb, nor is the Father its subject. However, in John, we
      read of Jesus as the object of this verb in 16:14 and 17:1,5,10. Likewise, the Father is the
      subject of the verb in the following places: 14:13, 15:8, 17:1,5. Also, in 17:4, we read this
      verb with Jesus as its subject and the Father as its object.

      meno: unlike its use in the synoptics (in which Jesus is not the object of this verb), in John
      we find this verb used in direct relation to Jesus, often with Jesus as its object. Meno
      appears 12 times in the synoptics, in John it appears 36 times. We read of Jesus as the object
      of the verb in 14:10, 15:4-7,9,10a (the object being the love of Jesus). This verb appears with
      Jesus as subject in 14:25 and 15:10b, and with the spirit of truth as subject in 14:16,17.

      pisteuo: appears 33 times in all three synoptic gospels, but 90 times in John. The emphasis of
      this verb in John is on believing in Jesus, his name, and his words, serving a rhetorical
      purpose.

      ioudaios: Appears 17 times in all three synoptic gospels, but 69 times in John. As many of us
      already know, the use of this word in John serves a distinct rhetorical purpose.

      What I find most interesting about these words and their distinct usage in John is that they
      most often seem to appear in chapters 14-17, the "farewell discourses." As a section just prior
      to the Johannine passion narrative without any parallel in the synoptics, I find its being
      unique lies not just in its form and content but esp. in its vocabulary. Here, I believe, is
      where the particularly "Johannine" Jesus is most pronounced.

      Andrew John Panyko
      Chairman, Department of Theology
      Don Bosco Preparatory High School
      Ramsey, New Jersey