Logos in John and Philo

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2000
      This is a response to Frank McCoy's post which I re-named because it takes
      the previous thread in a new and promising direction. I was fascinated with
      the many parallels between John 3 and Philo's "On Flight and Finding" -- and
      it was mostly new to me. The theological (or perhaps better Christological)
      implications of the identification of Jesus at his Baptism with the True High
      Priest of Philo's Exodus are also potentially enormous. I have yet to study
      the Philo text in Greek more carefully before I make a personal judgment as
      to how convincing the parallels are, but I would like to ask Frank if these
      parallels have been pointed out before in the literature, or if he has
      published anything on the issue himself. I certainly hope that this branch of
      the present discussion will be carried forward by those who know Philo (and
      John, for that matter) better than I do.

      Leonard Maluf