[John_Lit] Re: John-Words

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 1999
      At 11:35 AM 5/20/99 +0200, you wrote:
      >As a starter I would like to provide a list of words that appear (at least
      >twice) in the Gospel of John, but nowhere else in the NT.
      >
      >Best wishes
      > Wieland
      >-------------
      >naqanahl 6
      >nikodhmos 5

      Do you find it significant that John has some names not found in the
      Synoptics? If so, why?

      >oyarion 5
      >antlew 4
      >kana 4

      Another name.

      >klhma 4
      >ywmion 4
      >aposunagwgos 3

      Ah- now this one is interesting. The others, to this point, are synonyms of
      other more common words arent they? So not really so "unique". But here,
      in aposunagwgos we have a very unique word.

      >arcitriklinos 3
      >diazwnnumi 3
      >didumos 3

      Another name.

      >kolumbhqra 3
      >skelos 3
      >tiberias 3

      Name.

      >udria 3
      >anqrakia 2
      >glwssokomon 2
      >epicriw 2
      >hlos 2
      >kriqinos 2
      >lention 2
      >litra 2

      Latin loan words are fairly commom in the Synoptics. Not really unusual to
      find them.

      >messias 2

      I dont think this is really unusual. Why do you?

      >monh 2
      >samaritis 2

      Name.

      >suneisercomai 2
      >titlos 2

      latin.

      >camai 2

      Wieland- of all your examples I think that apos. is the most intriguing.
      What do you make of it? How does it help you date the Gospel?

      Best,

      Jim

      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 1999
        On 05/20/99 11:35:19 you wrote:

        >As a starter I would like to provide a list of words that appear (at least
        >twice) in the Gospel of John, but nowhere else in the NT.
        >
        >Best wishes
        > Wieland

        I think a more interesting approach would be not just to determine those words in John which
        appear nowhere else in the NT. Rather, why not look at those words which, while they may appear
        elsewhere in the NT (esp. the synoptics), appear more often in John, being used with differing
        emphases? Such an exercise, I believe, will give us more of a cluse concerning the background
        of teh gospel, esp. in terms of its rhetoric and possible author/speaker-reader/hearer dynamic.
        Here's an example of a few such words:

        ginosko: unlike its usage in the synoptics, John uses this verb in relation to Jesus and his
        Father, often with Jesus or his Father as the direct object. No where in the synoptics do we
        find Jesus or his Father as the object of this verb.

        gnorizo: the only place in the synoptics we find this verb is in Luke 2:15, with its subject
        being "the Lord." However, in John we find Jesus as the subject of this verb in 15:15 and
        17:26. The use of the verb in John shows Jesus as one who reveals what he hears from his
        Father.

        doxazo: this verb appears 14 times in the synoptics, and 17 times in John. In the synoptics,
        no where is Jesus the object of this verb, nor is the Father its subject. However, in John, we
        read of Jesus as the object of this verb in 16:14 and 17:1,5,10. Likewise, the Father is the
        subject of the verb in the following places: 14:13, 15:8, 17:1,5. Also, in 17:4, we read this
        verb with Jesus as its subject and the Father as its object.

        meno: unlike its use in the synoptics (in which Jesus is not the object of this verb), in John
        we find this verb used in direct relation to Jesus, often with Jesus as its object. Meno
        appears 12 times in the synoptics, in John it appears 36 times. We read of Jesus as the object
        of the verb in 14:10, 15:4-7,9,10a (the object being the love of Jesus). This verb appears with
        Jesus as subject in 14:25 and 15:10b, and with the spirit of truth as subject in 14:16,17.

        pisteuo: appears 33 times in all three synoptic gospels, but 90 times in John. The emphasis of
        this verb in John is on believing in Jesus, his name, and his words, serving a rhetorical
        purpose.

        ioudaios: Appears 17 times in all three synoptic gospels, but 69 times in John. As many of us
        already know, the use of this word in John serves a distinct rhetorical purpose.

        What I find most interesting about these words and their distinct usage in John is that they
        most often seem to appear in chapters 14-17, the "farewell discourses." As a section just prior
        to the Johannine passion narrative without any parallel in the synoptics, I find its being
        unique lies not just in its form and content but esp. in its vocabulary. Here, I believe, is
        where the particularly "Johannine" Jesus is most pronounced.

        Andrew John Panyko
        Chairman, Department of Theology
        Don Bosco Preparatory High School
        Ramsey, New Jersey