A Grammatico-theological Question

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2000
      |'m sure that someone here can explain this to my
      satisfaction.

      John 1:1c states:

      kai theos an ho logos

      This is normally translated as:

      "and the Word was God"

      Why? Before jumping to answer, let me explain further.

      I understand that the following examples would have
      very different meanings:

      kai ho logos an ho theos

      "and the Word was the God"

      kai ho logos an theos

      "and the Word was a god"

      These are fairly clear to me. As for the Johannine
      clause "kai theos an ho logos", it has been explained
      to me as meaning:

      "what God was, the Word was".

      However, I wonder if it could also be translated as:

      "what a god was, the Word was"

      Can anybody clarify this for me?

      http://mail.yahoo.com/