Re: [John_Lit] Failed prophecy

  • Ken Durkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2000
      I have been thinking again about 21:23 and the tradition that the BD was not
      to die - in relation to the "John" of Revelation.

      This "John" hears "Jesus Christ" (via an angel) say that events (which
      include the Parousia) "must soon take place" (1:1; 22:6), and more to the
      point hears "I am coming soon" four times (3:11; 22:7; 22:12; 22:20).

      This must have led to a popular belief that this "John" would not die before
      the
      Parousia.

      I'm working on the idea that the two traditions are related.
      Does anyone else think along these lines?

      Ken Durkin