Re: [John_Lit] John 13

  • Richard Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
      > Concerning the Lazarus parable, Richard Anderson
      > wrote:
      >
      > > the rich man dressed in purple is a description of
      > > the high priest

      > Why do you say this? Why couldn't this be a King? Or
      > perhaps simply a rich man wearing expensive clothing?

      William Barclay stated in his Daily Study Bible series on Luke commenting on
      this verse wrote: "That is the description of the robes of the High Priests.
      . . ."

      > Richard Anderson then added:
      >
      > > for I have five brothers is an explicit reference to
      > > one of the reigning high priest, who as one of the
      > > sons of Annas had at least three brothers who served
      > > as High Priests and one famous brother-in-law,
      > > Caiaphas. At least one grandson of Annas served as
      > > high Priest.
      >
      > How does this add up to five brothers?

      We know that Annas had a large family. I only included the ones I could
      specifically identify as family members serving as high priests. It is my
      opinion that I am expressing. see below.

      > Richard Anderson then added:
      >
      > > The plot thickens because there was a man named
      > > Theophilus who served as high priest from 37 to 41
      > > C.E.
      >
      > I don't see what the connection is here. Could you
      > elaborate on your meaning?

      Luke addressed his gospel to "most excellent Theophilus"

      Richard H. Anderson
      see my published articles for add. details at
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
        About the rich man dressed in purple, Richard Anderson
        wrote:

        > William Barclay stated in his Daily Study Bible
        > series on Luke commenting on
        > this verse wrote: "That is the description of the
        > robes of the High Priests.
        > . . ."

        Why is Barclay's opinion the correct one? Does he give
        an argument?

        To my question "How does this add up to five
        brothers?", Richard Anderson wrote:

        > We know that Annas had a large family. I only
        > included the ones I could
        > specifically identify as family members serving as
        > high priests. It is my
        > opinion that I am expressing.

        I think that you would have to prove that there were
        only five brothers in order to make a stronger
        argument.

        Concerning the man named Theophilus who served as high
        priest from 37 to 41 C.E., Richard Anderson wrote:

        > Luke addressed his gospel to "most excellent
        > Theophilus"

        That would be about 45 years later--if the accepted
        scholarly dating is correct. Would this be the same
        Theophilus? Why?

        Concerning his views, Richard H. Anderson suggested:

        > see my published articles for add. details at
        > http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

        I haven't yet had an opportunity.

        http://invites.yahoo.com/