Re: [John_Lit] John 11 and Lk 16

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2000
      In a message dated 7/25/2000 9:08:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Jgabriel22@... writes:

      << It is strange that Jesus gives us a parable with a proper name.>>

      Or, perhaps, it was Luke who gave us this parable.

      << The gospels
      almost never give proper names in the narrative, never mind in a parable.
      I'd
      like you to focus on the last verse. It speaks of someone rising from the
      dead. The confluence of the name Lazarus and the idea of raising someone
      from
      the dead is not, I believe, coincidence. In the gospel of John, Lazarus'
      raising does not bring people further to the cause of Jesus but actually
      precipitates his death. I wonder if there was not such a memory in the minds
      of early Christians which only John and his group put to paper. Could Luke's
      parable be an allusion to Lazarus' raising and the fact that it did not
      persuade most of the Jews to follow Jesus?>>

      An alternative, and more radical explanation would be that John 11 is
      "theological narrative" and not history, based on the historical fact that
      Jesus' raised people from the dead (the Synoptic Gospels), the conclusion of
      the parable regarding Lazarus in Luke 16, and the theological conviction that
      Jesus is the life of the world (John: passim). It is interesting that we have
      in John BOTH an absence of the stories of raising from the dead found in the
      Synoptics AND the presence of this elaborate and highly theological account
      of the raising of "Lazarus" (= God is my help). Could this simply be John's
      VERSION of the stories of raising from the dead that came down in the
      tradition? True, the distance between the accounts in the Synoptics and that
      of John is great; but it is hardly greater than the distance between the
      discourse of Jesus in John and the words of Jesus in the Synoptics.
      This argument is of exactly the same shape as the argument (quite reasonable,
      I think) that would claim that the story of the woman-sinner in Lk 7 is
      Luke's version of the story of the woman who anoints Jesus head in Matt 26
      par.

      Leonard Maluf