Re: [John_Lit] John 13

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2000
      Concerning the Lazarus parable, Richard Anderson
      wrote:

      > the rich man dressed in purple is a description of
      > the high priest

      Why do you say this? Why couldn't this be a King? Or
      perhaps simply a rich man wearing expensive clothing?

      Richard Anderson then added:

      > for I have five brothers is an explicit reference to
      > one of the reigning high priest, who as one of the
      > sons of Annas had at least three brothers who served
      > as High Priests and one famous brother-in-law,
      > Caiaphas. At least one grandson of Annas served as
      > high Priest.

      How does this add up to five brothers?

      Richard Anderson then added:

      > The plot thickens because there was a man named
      > Theophilus who served as high priest from 37 to 41
      > C.E.

      I don't see what the connection is here. Could you
      elaborate on your meaning?

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Richard Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
        > Concerning the Lazarus parable, Richard Anderson
        > wrote:
        >
        > > the rich man dressed in purple is a description of
        > > the high priest

        > Why do you say this? Why couldn't this be a King? Or
        > perhaps simply a rich man wearing expensive clothing?

        William Barclay stated in his Daily Study Bible series on Luke commenting on
        this verse wrote: "That is the description of the robes of the High Priests.
        . . ."

        > Richard Anderson then added:
        >
        > > for I have five brothers is an explicit reference to
        > > one of the reigning high priest, who as one of the
        > > sons of Annas had at least three brothers who served
        > > as High Priests and one famous brother-in-law,
        > > Caiaphas. At least one grandson of Annas served as
        > > high Priest.
        >
        > How does this add up to five brothers?

        We know that Annas had a large family. I only included the ones I could
        specifically identify as family members serving as high priests. It is my
        opinion that I am expressing. see below.

        > Richard Anderson then added:
        >
        > > The plot thickens because there was a man named
        > > Theophilus who served as high priest from 37 to 41
        > > C.E.
        >
        > I don't see what the connection is here. Could you
        > elaborate on your meaning?

        Luke addressed his gospel to "most excellent Theophilus"

        Richard H. Anderson
        see my published articles for add. details at
        http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2000
          About the rich man dressed in purple, Richard Anderson
          wrote:

          > William Barclay stated in his Daily Study Bible
          > series on Luke commenting on
          > this verse wrote: "That is the description of the
          > robes of the High Priests.
          > . . ."

          Why is Barclay's opinion the correct one? Does he give
          an argument?

          To my question "How does this add up to five
          brothers?", Richard Anderson wrote:

          > We know that Annas had a large family. I only
          > included the ones I could
          > specifically identify as family members serving as
          > high priests. It is my
          > opinion that I am expressing.

          I think that you would have to prove that there were
          only five brothers in order to make a stronger
          argument.

          Concerning the man named Theophilus who served as high
          priest from 37 to 41 C.E., Richard Anderson wrote:

          > Luke addressed his gospel to "most excellent
          > Theophilus"

          That would be about 45 years later--if the accepted
          scholarly dating is correct. Would this be the same
          Theophilus? Why?

          Concerning his views, Richard H. Anderson suggested:

          > see my published articles for add. details at
          > http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

          I haven't yet had an opportunity.

          http://invites.yahoo.com/