Re: [John_Lit] John's Prologue - 1.5 - zwh

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1969
      In a message dated Fri, 23 Jun 2000 3:44:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Pete Phillips <p.m.phillips@...> writes:

      << I am doing a PhD on the Prologue with special attention to the creation of meaning in/through a text and the development of a Johannine anti-language. Part of my thesis is an exegesis (I don't like the word though) of the Prologue. In my investigation of verse 5 I wondered whether there was anything to prevent the first occasion of ZWH being a qualitative pre-verbal anarthrous predicate like QEOS in verse 1c. It seems to meet the same criteria as Colwell and Wallace and BDF suggest are needed. This could then lead to the translation - what came to be in him had the quality of life and that life was the light of humanity.... I realise there are hidden arguments re punctuation but if you could limit your responses to the issue about the q.p-v.a.predicate, please!!! Am I barking up the wrong tree??>>

      Peter, I think this translation (and the word division it implies) is exactly correct. At least, if I remember correctly, this is the way the verse is rendered by I. de la Potterie in his treatment of the prologue (which, by the way, you should definitely look at, if you haven't already).

      Leonard Maluf
    • Pete Phillips
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23 4:04 AM
        Thanks Leonard - I've seen de la Potterie's articles and the influence shows!

        Pete

        Peter Phillips
        New Testament Lecturer and Director of Studies,
        Cliff College,
        Calver,
        Hope Valley, Derbyshire, UK

        Tel: +44 1246 582321 x122
        Fax: +44 1246 583739

        Subscribe: send e-mail briefly describing your academic background & research interests to johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com

        Contact list managers: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com
      • TonyProst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23 9:44 AM
          For a fifth century understanding of this section, I refer you to the
          Paraphrase by Nonnos of Panopolis. My present work, and English verse
          translation, is available in part at the URL below. The Greek is hard to
          find, but if you communicate with me, perhaps we can make arrangements.

          Regards,
          Tony Prost
          All Nonnos All Day
          http://nonnos.iscool.net