John's Prologue - 1.5 - zwh

  • Pete Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2000
      I am doing a PhD on the Prologue with special attention to the creation of meaning in/through a text and the development of a Johannine anti-language. Part of my thesis is an exegesis (I don't like the word though) of the Prologue. In my investigation of verse 5 I wondered whether there was anything to prevent the first occasion of ZWH being a qualitative pre-verbal anarthrous predicate like QEOS in verse 1c. It seems to meet the same criteria as Colwell and Wallace and BDF suggest are needed. This could then lead to the translation - what came to be in him had the quality of life and that life was the light of humanity.... I realise there are hidden arguments re punctuation but if you could limit your responses to the issue about the q.p-v.a.predicate, please!!! Am I barking up the wrong tree???

      Pete

      Peter Phillips
      New Testament Lecturer and Director of Studies,
      Cliff College,
      Calver,
      Hope Valley, Derbyshire, UK

      Tel: +44 1246 582321 x122