Re: [John_Lit] Spiritual Gospel

  • Ken Durkin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2000
      From: Bill Skelton

      > Was it Papias?
      >
      > -Bill Skelton

      Bill, I've checked "Fragments" of Papias again and I can't see anything
      about a "spiritual gospel". I've added a few more words of the quotation in
      a post to Nigel.

      Ken Durkin

    • Ken Durkin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2000
        From: N & RJ Hanscamp

        > At 00:19 16/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
        > >Quick quiz:
        > >
        > >"Thus he composed a more spiritual Gospel..."
        > >
        > >Who said this?
        > >
        > >Ken Durkin
        >

        > It was Clement (of Alexandria) in Hypotyposeis 4 (found in Eusebius Hist.
        > Eccl. 6.14.7)
        > TON MENTOI IWANNHN ESKATON .... PNEUMATI QEOFORHQENTA PNEUMATIKON TOIHSAI
        > EUAGGELION.
        >

        > Nigel

        OK Nigel, close. The original though is: SUNETAXE PNEUMATIKWTERON
        EUAGGELION...

        However, just a few words further on -"but to the stories
        already written he added yet others..."

        ALLA TAIS PROGEGRAMMENAIS PRAXESIN EPITHEIS...

        Ken Durkin
      • Ken Durkin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2000
          "Thus he composed a more spiritual Gospel..."

          "...but to the stories already written he added yet others, and... brought
          in certain sayings... which he knew... would... lead... into that truth
          hidden by seven veils..."

          Ken Durkin