Re: [John_Lit] Spiritual Gospel

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2000
      In a message dated 6/15/2000 9:24:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      hanscamps@... writes:

      << Eccl. 6.14.7)
      TON MENTOI IWANNHN ESKATON .... PNEUMATI QEOFORHQENTA PNEUMATIKON TOIHSAI
      EUAGGELION. >>

      Should that be POIHSAI?

      Leonard Maluf
    • Ken Durkin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2000
        From: Bill Skelton

        > Was it Papias?
        >
        > -Bill Skelton

        Bill, I've checked "Fragments" of Papias again and I can't see anything
        about a "spiritual gospel". I've added a few more words of the quotation in
        a post to Nigel.

        Ken Durkin

      • Ken Durkin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2000
          From: N & RJ Hanscamp

          > At 00:19 16/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
          > >Quick quiz:
          > >
          > >"Thus he composed a more spiritual Gospel..."
          > >
          > >Who said this?
          > >
          > >Ken Durkin
          >

          > It was Clement (of Alexandria) in Hypotyposeis 4 (found in Eusebius Hist.
          > Eccl. 6.14.7)
          > TON MENTOI IWANNHN ESKATON .... PNEUMATI QEOFORHQENTA PNEUMATIKON TOIHSAI
          > EUAGGELION.
          >

          > Nigel

          OK Nigel, close. The original though is: SUNETAXE PNEUMATIKWTERON
          EUAGGELION...

          However, just a few words further on -"but to the stories
          already written he added yet others..."

          ALLA TAIS PROGEGRAMMENAIS PRAXESIN EPITHEIS...

          Ken Durkin
        • Ken Durkin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2000
            "Thus he composed a more spiritual Gospel..."

            "...but to the stories already written he added yet others, and... brought
            in certain sayings... which he knew... would... lead... into that truth
            hidden by seven veils..."

            Ken Durkin