Re: [John_Lit] Order in John and other stuff

  • Jeffrey L. Staley
    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2000

      > There are degrees of symbolization in the Johannine text (apparently
      > non-symbolic detail, possibly symbolic or theologically-significant
      > detail, implicitly symbolic/theological detail, and explicitly
      > symbolic/theological detail), and interpretations should take such factors
      > into consideration more than they do.
      > >
      > How about those water pots in John 2 and 4? or the Samaritan woman's "five husbands?" How does one "decide" if something is a
      > "non-symbolic detail?" I still go back to Robert Alter's classic "The Art of Biblical Narrative" (one of my mentors at Berkeley back
      > in the early 1980's), who argued that "biblical (read ancient Hebrew) narrators are laconic" and thus every detail counts (read his
      > reading of betrothal scenes in Genesis and Exodus). Or perhaps, more honestly(?), I have lots more fun imagining that each detail
      > counts, while you have more fun imagining that some are "non-symbolic."

      For instance, according of "days" in the early part of John to some symbolic/liturgical role is not implicit in the text, but possibly
      so. This makes it a possibility but not a
      strong one.

      "Not implicit in the text" for whom? So a "majority rules?" What if interpretive systems change (as they have over time)? What do we do
      with "minority views?" The same thing we usually do with real minorities? Ignore them?