Re: [John_Lit] History, and other stuff

  • Rev. Rodney J. Koopmans
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2000
      As a pastor and student of the Fourth Gospel , IMHO, the issue is not the
      Gospel writer's view of history, rather what the writer understands Jesus
      "doing to" history. History (I think) for the writer could only be
      accurately viewed from a Christian perspectrive. By Christian, I mean
      through the lens that Jesus puts on our view of history, and everything
      else, for that matter.
      Two examples, one scriptural, the other personal..
      As Christians we read psalms, like 23rd , through a new perspective. Jesus
      has forever changed the Psalmist's (in English) meaning and understanding of
      the term "Lord". To try to understand, just from the Psalm writer's
      perspective, is to miss what Jesus has done for the understanding conveyed
      by the term Lord.
      Secondly and personally, being recipients of forgiveness, as well as those
      who offer forgiveness, is to realize that forgiveness by God through Jesus
      changes history. The old is past and gone, the new has come, so that the old
      when and what happened is altered by the new reality in Jesus, our Lord..
      Thus the new is very different from the old, as in Christ, all things become
      new.
      My lurkers comments.
      Rod Koopmans
      St. Croix, USVI
    • Jeffrey L. Staley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2000
        Rev. Rodney J. Koopmans wrote:

        > Secondly and personally, being recipients of forgiveness, as well as those
        > who offer forgiveness, is to realize that forgiveness by God through Jesus
        > changes history. The old is past and gone, the new has come, so that the old
        > when and what happened is altered by the new reality in Jesus, our Lord..
        > Thus the new is very different from the old, as in Christ, all things become
        > new.

        Thanks for your comments, Rodney!