RE: [John_Lit] cognition in John

  • Mardaga, Hellen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013
      As far as I know there is a detailed discussion of these two verbs in the grammar of Abbot (Johannine grammar). You should start there as it may give you the basis as to why de la potterie came to such a conclusion.

      Prof. Dr. Hellen Mardaga

      Assistant Professor of New Testament Studies

      The Catholic University of America

      Caldwell Hall 419

      Washington D.C. 20064

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013
        Thanks, Hellen; see also Brown's Appendix I.3 in his commentary (Vol. 1).

        Speaking of Brown, all are invited to the St. Mary's conference engaging the legacies of Dodd and Brown Nov. 20-22. It will also feature the collection of essays gathered by Catrin Williams and Tom Thatcher (CUP) celebrating Dodd's two magna opera.

        And, this on the community Brown left behind was posted yesterday; it will be included in the collection Alan Culpepper and I are gathering on the Johannine Epistles (SBL Press, 2014).

        Paul Anderson

        --
        Revd Brendan Gerard M.A., S.S.L.
        Kapellenweg 5
        D-88145 Opfenbach
        Tel + 49 8385 1625
        Mob. + 49 151 54952896

        http://thingsinmotion.bgacademic.com

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            johannine_literature-digest@yahoogroups.com
            johannine_literature-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Brendan Gerard
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2013
          Hellen, Paul - thank you both.

          Brown confirms what I was already thinking: that there is "some basis for the distinction" between Οἶδα and γινώσκω in John, but that the distinction is not as hard and fast as de la Potterie would like it to be.

          Brendan