cognition in John

  • Brendan Gerard
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30 11:58 AM
      Dear Colleagues

      In 1959 Ignace de la Potterie argued that in John's Gospel oida and ginosko are not interchangeable: rather, the former denotes "une connaissance qui s'impose," whereas the latter refers to knowledge arrived at by ordinary processes of cognition. (I. de la Potterie, "oida et ginosko. Les deux modes de connaissance dans le quatrième évangile." Biblica 40 (1959) 709-725.)

      Does anyone know of any studies which either confirm this conclusion or subject it to serious criticism?

      Thanks!

      Brendan Gerard
      --
      Revd Brendan Gerard M.A., S.S.L.
      Kapellenweg 5

      http://thingsinmotion.bgacademic.com

    • Mardaga, Hellen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013
        As far as I know there is a detailed discussion of these two verbs in the grammar of Abbot (Johannine grammar). You should start there as it may give you the basis as to why de la potterie came to such a conclusion.

        Prof. Dr. Hellen Mardaga

        Assistant Professor of New Testament Studies

        The Catholic University of America

        Caldwell Hall 419

        Washington D.C. 20064

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013
          Thanks, Hellen; see also Brown's Appendix I.3 in his commentary (Vol. 1).

          Speaking of Brown, all are invited to the St. Mary's conference engaging the legacies of Dodd and Brown Nov. 20-22. It will also feature the collection of essays gathered by Catrin Williams and Tom Thatcher (CUP) celebrating Dodd's two magna opera.

          And, this on the community Brown left behind was posted yesterday; it will be included in the collection Alan Culpepper and I are gathering on the Johannine Epistles (SBL Press, 2014).

          Paul Anderson

          On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Mardaga, Hellen <MARDAGA@...> wrote:
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              johannine_literature-digest@yahoogroups.com
              johannine_literature-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Brendan Gerard
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2013
            Hellen, Paul - thank you both.

            Brown confirms what I was already thinking: that there is "some basis for the distinction" between Οἶδα and γινώσκω in John, but that the distinction is not as hard and fast as de la Potterie would like it to be.

            Brendan