hyios and eklektos

  • Brendan Gerard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      Thank you, Ramsey.

      On the basis of 21:24 I consider the evangelist to be the beloved
      disciple, and (on the basis of 1:35) a former adherent of the John the
      Baptist. Rather than the tradition coming to the evangelist, he himself
      (I would argue) is the tradent.

      Nevertheless, I think that my view of the Gospel's origin and your
      explanation of 1:34 are still basically compatible. The formula "ho
      eklektos tou theou" could have existed in the Johannine version of the
      story, and could have altered at some point in the composition of the
      written Gospel, either by the principal evangelist or by an editor. That
      might indeed explain why a few MSS have the uncorrected reading.

      Thanks again

      Brendan

      --
      Revd Brendan Gerard M.A., S.S.L.