Re: [John_Lit] hyios vs eklektos

  • Ramsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
      Brendan,

      You might check my NICNT commentary, where I suggested (p. 116) that eklektos may have been the reading in the tradition as it came down to the author of John, who changed it to huios to link up with v 29 (the “Lamb” defined as “the Son,” in keeping with Christian interpretation of Gen 22), and with Nathanael’s confession in 1:49, and with the Johannine “Son” theology generally.

      Thus “Chosen” was actually changed to “Son,” but it was the Gospel writer who did the changing!

      Best wishes on your doctoral thesis,

      Ramsey Michaels

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
         P. Gerard

        Vulgata legit non elegit sed Filius Dei. Hoc est canonica versio - oder- Die Vulgata nicht lesen elegit aber Sohn Gottes.

        "et ego vidi testimonium perhibui quia his est Filius Dei"

        Why do you want to use a crystal ball and make predictions??? The TC list does this sort of magic.

        Prof. Giovanni "John" N. Lupia III
        Parenti, Italia, New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
        (twitter account) @JohnNLupia
        http://www.reginacaelipress.com/
        https://sites.google.com/site/numismaticmallcom/
        God Bless Everyone