Re: Mosaic Oracles

  • Tom Butler
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2011
      My friends on the Johannine Literature List,

      I have just completed ten lectures on the trilogy of stories in chapters 11, 12
      and 13 (The Raising of Lazarus, The Anointing of the Feet of Jesus by Mary of
      Bethany, and The Washing of the Feet of the Disciples by Jesus).  These lectures
      expand upon the work I published in 1998 in a book called Let Her Keep
      It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany - A New Approach to the Study of the
      Gospel According to John through its use of Mosaic Oracles.

      My method relies upon the discovery of Mosaic oracles woven into the text of
      these three stories as signs.  The specific links these signs make to the Torah
      appear to me to be evidence of the use of the rabbinic midrash method of
      instruction by the leaders of the Johannine community/school.  I'm convinced
      that this method has the potential to unlock a significant level of hidden
      meaning throughout the Gospel narrative.  It may also suggest how and why the
      Gospel was written (ie: as a record of a growing body of midrash commentaries
      developed by members of the community/school as part of the school's didactic
      process.)  As I understand it, midrash may have been a commonly used method for
      training rabbis in Jewish schools in the first century.  It's use in the
      Johannine community's school may have been designed to teach new
      Jewish-Christian leaders to think, lead and teach as disciples of Jesus.

      Is anyone else working on or be familiar with previous work done on the use of
      Mosaic oracles in the Fourth Gospel?

      If so, would you be willing to engage in a dialogue with me on this list or if
      you prefer in a private e-mail exchange?      I am eager to test my theories and
      my method by presenting them for scrutiny by the scholars on this list.
        Yours in Christ's service,
      Dr. Tom Butler